Meet Perley Church Mouse

Perley Nathaniel Church Mouse, the famous author mouse, lives with his family in a lovely old church in the tiny hamlet of Bridgton, Maine. When he’s not writing stories for his “Church Folks,” he enjoys playing grape soccer and mouse tag with his friends Timothy and Sebastian. Perley enjoys school, and recently won the Squire Perley History Prize. 

Why Perley Church Mouse? Because the world has asked for him. (it always has). The world always asks and sometimes begs for someone to tell them that things will be okay.

Perley is not only a kind teacher, but he is someone who is a wisdom seeker himself. The world desperately needs the truth spoken, especially to their children and Perley does just that.

We won’t claim that Perley’s books have been responsible for any miracles, but consider the following:
  • A father reported that his nine year old son found a Perley book on the coffee table and he put down the Star Wars book he was reading and read the Perley book cover to cover.
  • A grandmother sat down with her grandson who struggles with reading problems. She handed him Perley’s book. He was required to read for 15 minutes, but he kept on reading when the time was up so he could find out what happened next.
  • A tough guy construction worker reportedly keeps his Perley book on his nightstand and reads one story per night before he goes to sleep.



Perley's readers had the following to say:

“I have just finished reading your book, and I want to tell you that I think you are a very smart mouse. In fact, you are not only smart, but also very wise for someone your age. I am 80 years old and not nearly as wise as you. I learned a lot and got a lot of good ideas from your book. I am trying hard to remember all the lessons you taught me. 

“I also like that you have such a good sense of humor. I do believe that the two things that have helped me the most to get over the rough spots in life are prayer and laughter. Somehow, I always feel better when I’ve had a good laugh. 

“Your letters have made me feel as if I really know you and your family and your friends. Thank you for sharing all those good stories with me and other readers. Keep up the good work taking care of your church where you live. I wish we had such thoughtful mice in the church I attend!”

Those of us who know Perley well, know that he is all that his letters reveal him to be. He tries always to keep his love of God and his neighbors foremost in his mind. His growing fame hasn’t spoiled him. And he knows Famous Author Mice still have to clean their own mouse holes.

We invite you to fix yourself a nice cup of sunflower tea, grab a piece of Dot’s Famous Carrot Cake, curl up in the sunshine with Perley’s letters, and watch the time melt away. And don’t forget to read his stories to your little mice and grandmice. You might want to keep his stories for your own, but Perley sure would like it if you shared them with your Little Folks, too.


Comments